Friday, January 1, 2010

Encouragement 101

So I was out early this morning and half a half an hour to kill between appointments, so I went to McDonalds for a coffee. I purchased my hot cup of life and went to the "lounge" to watch the big screen and read captions. While I'm there I notice a fellow about early thirties cleaning windows and metal door frames, etc. Now hang on; What captured my attention was the alacrity with which he did his job. He cleaned the windows with more fervor than I clean my Harley. I was mesmerized as I watched him move to the doors and proceed to whip out a Brillo pad and even scrub around the hinges and door closure. Never have I seen such attention to detail and work ethic.

As I was leaving I thought, "I should really encourage that guy and comment on his work ethic". As I was about to leave that little voice (not the godly one) said, "Nah, he'll think you're a weirdo, or hitting on him or something - I mean who does that?". But, the good voice won out and decided, why not - so I went over and really laid it on about his being an inspiration and how awesome I noticed he did his work. He was SO appreciative! He thanked me and I could see his spirit begin to glow - I had really made his day.

How easy it is, if we will just be attentive, to lift the spirits of those around us. In a world of terrorist headlines, child abuse, corrupt business practices, etc., its refreshing to see that there are still hard working, down-to-earth people out there doing the absolute best they can at whatever their hands find to do. Let's encourage them with a kind word and smile and let them know we saw the and appreciate their efforts. A great practice for a new year.

1 comment:

  1. sometime ago, I read how much we can touch someone's life, even a stranger, if we say kind words to them. I am always amazed when I see faces light up or smiles break or eyes sparkle from the simplest thing said like "I like your blouse","you have very pretty hands" or "thanks so much for your help."

    ReplyDelete