Thursday, October 29, 2009

Did you know?

Came across some facts today that surprised me. My favorites are: 1. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb. 2. Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired." 3. The phrase "sleep tight" derives from the fact that early mattresses were filled with straw and held up with rope stretched across the bed-frame. A tight sleep was a comfortable sleep.

It's amazing the things we take for granted. Phrases we use, people we trust, future's we expect, and a God we depend upon. The phrase, "give us this day our daily bread", holds no relevant meaning for me, and probably not for you. I take for granted my daily bread. I've been wondering if that makes me a "bad person" (not really). But the fact is praying irrelevant prayers doesn't make sense (imagine God hearing that one while my pantries are full). Maybe it's time for more relevancy, like; Give me this day good cell phone signal for those who need to reach me; or, bless my laptop today so I can work on my group study, post my blog and respond to all the e-mails; or, give me boldness to speak uncomfortable truth into the lives who need to hear it. How about - give me grace to tolerate my pig-headed, heathen boss (not me, but maybe you). Bottom line? Keep things real with God - He's up to date on what you really need anyway, and it's probably not a "tight sleep".

2 comments:

  1. Well alot of that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good reminders for me!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete