Thursday, December 10, 2009

Show me the Money

Some think I have a pretty weird sense of humor when it comes to reading the Bible. I don't know about that, but I do find myself laughing more times than not when I read about the things Jesus did. Here's one for you: In Mark 12:41-44 Jesus is sitting across from the temple treasury watching people put money (offerings) in. Now, before we jump to the poor widow who gave all she had and assume we get the whole "it's not about the amount, but the percentage" or "attitude" thing, let's just look at the first line. Can't you just imagine Jesus passing the time by watching people give. Please bear with me as I imagine His thoughts:

Well here comes Jonadab, I really blessed him last week with some great furniture sales. Do what? What is that pathetic amount he's dropping in?

Ah, Bracius, he's always giving more than he can afford. Yep, there he goes again...that'll make it tough to live this week. Well, I'll stretch the oil and bread for him again.

Oh this ought to be good, here comes that skin-flint Ezekiel. The more I give him the less he gives Me back. Sure enough...and what's with the trumpet blowing?

I can't say that's what Jesus was thinking. But one thing for sure. He WAS watching and thinking and knew the amount that everyone gave. He watches a poor widow give everything she had to live on (let that sink in in today's terms) while others gave a portion of their surplus. (please note - he didn't criticize the rich, he just commended the widow)

So is Jesus still watching today? I wonder, as the human rat race starts hitting the full swing Christmas season, if Jesus is sitting and watching how we give back this time of year? Do we pass the red bucket at Walmart with eyes turned aside, or do we give from a sacrificial heart? After all, it is Jesus who said, "as you have done unto the least of these My brethren, you have done unto Me". Let's give Him something to smile at while He sits there.

No comments:

Post a Comment