Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Blessing of Resistance

I have incorporated into my morning routine, for some time now, the habit of exercising. Monday, Wednesday, Friday - weight training; Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - cardio. I injured my shoulder recently and so have been using lighter weights with slower repetitions. It's amazing how performing slower movements adds to the difficulty of the exercise and different muscle use. I hurt (in a good way) more today than if I had been lifting heavier amounts. I am finding that resistance is the key. Where there is resistance, there is muscle growth.

The apostle James starts his letter in the New Testament with the idea of resistance. "Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds...because the testing of your faith develops perseverance...". Seriously, how many of us find ourselves in trouble or hard times and think, "How joyful"? None of us want trials, tribulation, testing, tough circumstances, pain, etc. However, most of us would agree that in hindsight, it was during those times we actually grew in our faith the most.

So, here's to resistance. Here's to fighting the good fight, perseverance, pressing on towards the goal and all those other encouragements to keep on keeping on we find in scripture. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to find the Icy Hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment