Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What are you doing here? -God

Have you ever reached a place in life when you wondered how you got there? The chain reaction of decisions that led us down the various paths of life can be hard to understand in hindsight. Even if we could detail out what led us to the place we find ourselves, it is often unfruitful to dwell on the past. Sometimes we want to blame God for "allowing" us to make poor decisions. Sometimes we even believe God dragged us into the mire we're in.

I'm still thinking about Elijah and his escape to the cave. Even after God fed him via the creative use of ravens, Elijah heads off on a forty day trek. When he gets to the cave he hears God ask, "What are you doing here?" That is SO funny if you think about it. It's so like God to get right to the point. The thought came to me that God could've spoke to Elijah when in route. Say, third or fifteenth day in, "Where are you going, Elijah?" But NO, God allows Elijah to wander towards his destination and waste forty days doing so, only to hear God ask him why he's even there.

I don't want to wander one day in my life. I don't ever want to reach a place where God asks me what I'm doing. I don't ever want to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people, or busy at the wrong things. I especially need to be on guard in the midst of or just following a huge victory. Life is too short and God has so much more for me that I should worry about what an ungodly queen might do to me. So, here's to calling down fire, killing prophets and out running chariots - sure beats a forty day pity walk any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment